3 Options for UAE Residents with Cancelled Visas

UAE residents who are wondering what they should in case their visa is cancelled by their sponsor/employer, they have 3 options to make: Apply for a Tourist Visa, Apply for an Employment Visa (sponsored by a new employer), or Exit the Country.

Also Read: UAE Updates on Expired Visa Rules and Renewal of UAE Visa

There has been a change to the rule regarding canceled visas at this time of the crisis. If you are someone who lost your job from March 1 onwards, you have two choices: change your visa status or leave the country. If you will not do these things, you will likely pay overstay fines after the grace period, according to the government official who announced the news.

uae cancelled visa

UAE Cancelled Visa? – How to Fix


The Federal Authority of Identity and Citizenship (ICA) has given schedules on how residents and visitors can renew their visas. This is in line with the country’s strategies to support the public and mitigate the spread of the virus. But since this only talks about the change of status and leaving the country, visa cancellation is another topic.

If your residence visa is canceled, you have three of options so you can avoid paying fines. Here they are:

  • Apply for a Visit Visa 

Amidst this pandemic, the UAE government has stopped releasing visit visas for people who are currently outside the UAE. However, the issuance is still possible for those who are within the country. Per the statement of Mohammed Shah, the general manager of Regal Tours, Dubai, the process is just easy: residents should apply for a visit visa for themselves and for their dependents personally if they hold visas through a travel agent.

The application process only requires the applicants to submit copies of their passports. This would cost around AED 2,200 for a visa that can last for 100 days. The fees are almost the same if you will apply for a two to three-month visa. The application takes about two days.

  • Get a New Employment Visa (Apply for another Job)

If your visa is canceled, the best way to avoid paying fines and leaving the country is getting a job offer from another company so you can get your new employment visa. Your family visa should be put on hold under this option. You need to ensure that your previous employer has canceled your visa so to make a way for your new employer to apply a new employment visa for you. The grace period is 28 days and the application should be made within those days once your visa has been canceled. The date will be written on your paper. It’s important for you to take note of it.

  • Exit the country

The last option you have is to utilize the repatriation flights to your home country. You need to follow the grace period set by the UAE government so you won’t have to pay the fines.

The fines for overstaying are AED 125 for the first day and AED 25 for every succeeding day. And while the government has waived the fines for overstaying for those whose visas have expired before March 1, 2020, you still need to check with the government to ensure proper processing. Call the government hotlines to get answers.


Leave a Comment

error: Content is protected !!