The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MOHAP) announced a new case of novel coronavirus or COVID-19 in the UAE on Sunday, 16th February 2020. This latest case brings the total number to nine confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the country.
The ninth case, a 37-year-old Chinese man, was confirmed during a routine check-up conducted based on World Health Organisation (WHO) standards. At present, the patient is reported to be on stable condition.
MOHAP Announces Latest Case of COVID-19
The case brings to nine the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the UAE, WAM News Agency reported. This figure includes the three patients who have fully recovered recently.
Last week, a 73-year-old woman from China was the first patient to fully recover from the novel coronavirus. On Friday, the MOHAP announced that two patients, a 41-year-old father and his 8-year-old son — also from China — have fully recovered as well.
Meanwhile, a team of leading consultants are currently observing the remaining six patients, which include one Filipino, one Indian, and the rest are Chinese nationals. Earlier, authorities have reported that one patient was in intensive care, while the rest are in stable condition.
The Ministry also assured the public that it is taking all the necessary measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19. This includes observing people who have been in contact with confirmed cases, based on stringent global practices. MOHAP has also been in close coordination with health and other concerned authorities in the UAE regarding the matter.
That being said, the Ministry continues to urge everyone to read awareness instructions, which are available on its website and other health authorities’ websites, and to follow preventive measures to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the UAE.
Through a statement, the Ministry said: “The public are also advised to adopt protective health behaviours to avoid infectious diseases, including washing hands with soap and clean water, and covering the mouth when coughing or sneezing to stop the spread of germs and viruses.”
UPDATE: Number of COVID-19 Cases Worldwide
Last December, the novel coronavirus was reported to have originated from Wuhan, the capital of central Hubei province in China. To help contain the virus and prevent further spread, the entire province has been put under lockdown for several weeks now.
As of this writing, Channel News Asia reports that there are now 71,329 confirmed cases of COVID-19 worldwide, and the death toll has risen to 1,775 fatalities. Majority of these are in China, with 70,548 confirmed cases and 1,770 reported deaths.
Outside China, the “largest cluster” of confirmed COVID-19 cases has been reported on board Diamond Princess, a cruise ship off the coast of Japan. There are also quite a number of cases in Singapore, Japan, and Hong Kong — with 75, 59, and 57 cases, respectively.
Still outside mainland China, COVID-19 has led to five reported deaths — one each in Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, France, and the Philippines.
As the number of confirmed cases and reported deaths due to COVID-19 continues to rise, we can only hope for the best and trust that authorities are doing the best they can. For the moment, we should strive to remain informed and updated on the matter.