Exciting news for the kabayan Filipinos in UAE. There is NO MORE ban in the deployment of domestic workers from the Philippines to the United Arab Emirates. There are also new rules for household service workers.
Also Read: No More Private Agencies, Domestic Workers Apply via UAE Government Only
According to the latest post from the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MoHRE), they said that starting March 31, 2021, the UAE will import domestic workers from the Philippines.
Philippines Lifts Ban on Deployment of Domestic Workers to UAE
In a press statement, Labor Undersecretary Claro Arellano, head of the Philippine delegation, said the sending of Filipino workers to the Arab country will resume on March 31 which was agreed upon during a two-day Joint Committee Meeting in Manila from Monday to Tuesday.
Under the unified contract, both the employer and the Foreign Recruitment Agencies, and the Philippine Recruitment Agencies are bound by joint and solidary liability should anything happen to the Filipino workers.
Additional Rights for Filipino Household Service Workers
The four-party contract, which becomes an addendum to the Memorandum of Understanding on Labor Cooperation with Annex Protocol on Domestic Workers, incorporates the President’s instructions for specific provisions to ensure the safety and well-being of HSWs, as follows:
1. The right of the domestic worker to take at least eight (8) continuous hours of sleep every night;
2. The right of the domestic worker to take a break that is paid, outside the residence of the employer at least one full day every week;
3. The right of the domestic worker to keep his/her passport or identification documents and the employer is not allowed to hold them;
4. The employer shall allow the domestic worker to have and use cellular phones and other communication devices and the employer is prohibited from confiscating them;
5. Opening of bank account under the name of the domestic worker for payment of salary; and
6. Allowing the domestic workers to cook her or his own food.
Another provision in the agreement is the conversion of tourist/visit visa to working visa. As agreed during the JCM, POLO will be notified when a visit visa is converted to an employment visa for a Filipino domestic worker.
Concluding a series of meetings held in the Philippines between a delegate from #MOHRE & senior Filipino officials, it was announced that starting April; the UAE will import domestic workers from the Philippines through the officially authorized channels in both countries. #UAE
Concluding a series of meetings held in the Philippines between a delegate from #MOHRE & senior Filipino officials, it was announced that starting April; the UAE will import domestic workers from the Philippines through the officially authorized channels in both countries. #UAE pic.twitter.com/dQV6mYitQh
— MOHRE_UAE وزارة الموارد البشرية والتوطين (@MOHRE_UAE) March 2, 2021